Generations of boarders have called Harlin House home; their voices and experiences shaping the traditions and values which support today’s boarding students.
Without boarding we will not have regional students; we will not have an Indigenous Program; we will not have international students; and we will not have the diversity we prize which benefits all boys.
Boarding is at the heart of our community & enriches the Brisbane Grammar School experience for all.
Please support boarding at Brisbane Grammar School!
The School aims to raise $1.5M to refurbish Harlin House, improving the boarding experience for all current and future boarders.
Old Boy Matt McLennan '86 has set Harlin House's refurbishment in motion, updating common rooms and building an outdoor area for boarders, with a US$500,000 pledge over 5 years.
A comprehensive upgrade to Harlin House facilities will deliver:
- Upgraded accommodation with comparatively superior private room spaces
- Flexible room configurations to accommodate various year group levels
- Upgraded common room and outdoor recreation spaces
- Provision for a live-in boarding parent for junior boarders
- Provision for an on-campus village precinct for boarders, incorporating Harlin House, SW Griffith Building, Roe Building, recreational space, the Boarders’ Lawn and eventually the STEAM Building Precinct.
Harlin House History
The School’s association with boarding dates back to 1869, when homestay arrangements were offered. A purpose-built boarding house, known as School House, opened in 1887, but was stretched beyond capacity until boys shifted into a newly built Harlin House in 1972. This historical connection continues today with a deeply ingrained appreciation for the value of boarding to our school.
Harlin House has historically offered opportunities for students residing outside Brisbane. The provision of boarding at BGS remains an important consideration which aligns with our aspirations to be a leading boys’ school in Australia and to continue to provide open access to boys from beyond the metropolitan area.
A big thank you to our Supporters
The real heroes who are kindly helping us achieve our goal
John L Knott